Pages

Saturday 21 June 2014

Speed-Vocab

A simple vocabulary game which can be done to suit any level. You don't even need much preparation but a dictionary for each group will greatly help for weak and intermediate students.

Ingredients


Steps
1. Divide students into small groups.
2. Provide each group with dictionary. I suggest 2 dictionaries for a group of 4.
3. Give students the first word. For example I gave the word 'fame'
4. Each student will take turn to write a new meaningful word based from the word given. The student can only change one letter of the word at a time.
5. They can refer to the dictionary to find words. 
6. The group with the most number of meaningful words win the game.

Extra note:
1. I ask my students to write the meaning of the words they write and ask them to explain the meaning to their friends when we go through the word-list they have created.
2. My students are in form 3, I did the game for only 15 minutes. Throughout this game, they found and used many words they have never come across before!

So, good luck trying this in your class. ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...